Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Not Reasonable, for a Reasonable Blog.

One of the greatest joys I find in life is doing something that no one says I can. As a matter of fact, the most exhilarating moments of my life come when I hear someone say "You couldn't handle that." or "That's just not practical.". Because I can do it. I can do what I set my mind to. I don't need any more motivation than proving someone wrong. Obviously, things that are immoral or biblical are out.

 The fight always come inside my own head. I often lose practicality when challenged to something. It doesn't matter if it's something as unrewarding as an arm wrestling match, I have a hard time turning it down.

Now, sometimes that's a bad thing.

"I'll bet you can't walk on that roof." 
"I'll prove you wrong."
A broken bone and an ER visit later, nothing has been proven. 

 To a point, it's a good thing. 2 Timothy 1:7 says that "God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 

 Power, to me, is a fighting emotion. It's not something that just comes to you. We don't always want it, and sometimes it's humiliating. I'll say that I've never felt more powerful than when I'm riding a horse, but I've never been more humiliated than when I fell off a horse. When I go out running, I feel awesome. When I listen to a song and the rhythmetic part of my brain is soothed, I feel at peace. I'm full of emotions, but power is the common denominator betwixt them all. I embrace challenges because they're real. I can feel power behind accusations of "You can't!" and I want to kill that power before it gets to my own mind.

"That voice inside your head, the one that whispers 'you can't do it', is a liar." 

I'm not a timid person. I am strong, I am outspoken, I am no quitter.


This is a post that does not agree with the title of my blog. "Amo Causam" means "I love reason", but this is not a reasonable post. I'm putting into words the irrational, human, part of my brain that loves to be challenged. It's not always reasonable, but I'll tame it, and shape it with self-discipline. Because that is the spirit that God gave me. Amo Causam.

No comments:

Post a Comment