Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Rhetoricing and Debating

My time at Liberty University has proved to be productive as well as impossibly stimulating. Because of my writing style, I'm going to do things the way I remember them. Today backwards.

Day 3;
It was a bleak and dreary morning, in the sort that it revived me. Everything was thick with fog. Even the bridge with it's every streaming flow of cars under it which normally makes me think of beautiful things, had a sort of muted glow to it. I was awake at 7, I woke my flatmate up at 7:15 and was out of the dorm by 7:20, I had left breakfast before 7:50 and got to the computer lab (obviously where I am now) at 8am. My first class isn't until 9, so I have plenty of time to smear my thoughts across this page (:

Day 2;
I learned what it meant to be in debate camp. It means you're surrounded by people who think analytically and critically. Watch out for stray passing comments, or the debaters will scoop them up and run with them. While this may seem insufferable, it's taught me to train and guard my tongue, because trust me, you don't want to lock horns with another intellectual over whether or not the eggs we had for breakfast were real. Another dangerous territory is the physical map of the place. Intellectuals have a thing for memorizing locations on a map and easily translating them to physical ground. Perhaps one of the worst things to do is not paying enough attention when the RAs tell you where the R.O.T. hall is. Some campers less familiar with the territory (ahem.... certainly not me.... actually yes.) got lost before their first meal and barely managed to scrounge up what the American Legion guys had left behind. Now, back to these classes. I signed up for the Homeschool Rhetoric and Debate lab (RDL), and I also sit in on Lincoln Douglas classes (LD) in my free time. I was expected within the confines of 20 minutes, research a philosopher who was previously unknown to me, take notes, and give a speech. It was so interesting!

 While I'm in this camp, I've made a point to test my strengths both mental and physical. I went running with Ginger yesterday (a truly sweet person) and after that, there were surprise Olympics. We were "team Unrebuttables" which is a hard name to cheer for. Shocker.

 In LD, we learned how to flow. It was challenging. I got the gist of it at the end of class. More or less, it's a fast way to write, it just takes more concentration than I'd be able to spare during a debate.

Memorable quote: "I'm not suprised. Look at me, I'm going to have a heart attack because I'm not suprised."

There are some hard feelings that resonate after a debate. It's hard to make up for them. I've refused to debate a few people because I like them and I think they'd be pretty cool friends. That's all.

 Day 1;
Arrival, was owned at Chess, met a whovian, learned a new card game.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun :) it is interesting that you should mention it since I'm taking a online Bible class at Liberty next year. :) Hope you learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete